Enjoy the Outdoors while Loving our Earth!
In Hong Kong, we are having different kinds of events including running races, charity walks, sports events and carnivals every week. These frequent activities produce tremendous amount of single-use ‘waste’ like plastic bottles, cutleries, plastic bags, onsite decorations and souvenirs, which end up quickly in our landfills. Can we help to save these valuable resources and also our mother earth?
We are dumping 6,000,000 plastic bottles to the landfills each single day*!
Are you aware that recycling facilities are seldom available in events?
These years, a lot of races and events stress on the important principle of fulfilling a ‘green event’. An event can be held successfully while minimizing the negative impact on our environment. This all contributes to a positive image for both the event and the organizer.
Let’s make a wise choice good for our mother earth and our own health as well!
*in terms of weight
The Green Earth has been promoting the ‘Green Event Campaign’ since 2016. Through providing environmental support and public education, we are aiming to:
- Jointly create an environmentally responsible ‘Green Event’ culture
- Encourage wise use of resources and reduce amount of waste
Support Green Event
There are already more than 100 events partnered with The Green Earth. These green events range from smaller-scale ones which involve 300 people, to large-scale running races and carnivals which involve more than 10,000 people. We are delighted to see positive comments and support from participants. Some of these events include:
How to join?
1/ I am an organizer - Join as a 'Green Event'!
The Green Earth provides organizers with the following support:
- Tailor-made waste reduction measures
- Provide educational and promotional support
- Lend well-designed recycling bins
- Coordinate onsite recycling and good use of resources
- Arrange trustable recyclers to collect recyclables (clean paper, cans and plastics) from the event venue for further processing
- Provide a recycling evaluation report after the event
- Provide onsite environmental education volunteers and related information
Charity or non-profit events with 300 to 5000 participants (Indoor / outdoor activities):
Invite you to register for the “Waste Reduction Support for Green Events” service under Jockey Club “Events Go Green” Programme! The Green Earth will provide the green supports mentioned above for free.
Application requirements of the service :
- Charity events or non-profit events
- One-day events organized within Hong Kong (If the event lasts more than one day, TGE will consider it based on availability of manpower and resources.)
- Commitment to fully support the implementation of green measures in the event
Other events or events more than 5000 participants:
Please contact The Green Earth for further discussion and proposal
Email: [email protected]
2/ I am an organizer or a volunteer team - Train up your green teammates
Whatever the scale of an event, the support from volunteers is vital in achieving success in promoting waste reduction in an event.
Under the "Jockey Club Events Go Green Programme", The Green Earth will provide FREE “Green Event Volunteer workshops” to volunteer groups. The following volunteer groups are welcome to apply: environmental teams in the organization, volunteer teams who have the opportunities to help in large scale events, or team members of a large scale event working team.
Green Event Volunteer Workshops will include:
1. The Concept of “Green Event” and knowledge of waste reduction
2. Practical skills and tips in organizing or supporting a “Green Event”
3. Difficulties and challenges faced in promoting green measures and possible solutions
4. Experience sharing by The Green Event on supporting events to turn green
According to your needs, we can also share some more information on recycling practices, "Leave No Trace" hiking attitude and key points of organizing beach and mountain clean-up etc.
Apply for a workshop: Please fill in the online application form. The recommended number of participants is 10-40 participants per workshop. The workshop venue and related equipment can be provided by your own organization or The Green Earth. The workshops can also be held entirely online via digital platform.
After participating in the workshop, volunteers can apply what they have learnt in your organization’s large scale event. They are also welcome to join us as Green Event Ambassadors, and to participate in more training workshops and provide support more Green Events supported by The Green Earth.
(Chinese versions only)